At Languages International, you can combine the best English language courses with the opportunity to practice English in the real world as well. We offer work experience programs that combine study at Languages International and employment in a New Zealand workplace.
First, you will need to have a visa for New Zealand that allows you to work. Check to see if you are able to apply for a Working Holiday visa or look at information about working while on a Student visa. You can also check New Zealand’s minimum wage rate to get an idea of how much you can earn, and understand your employment rights under New Zealand law.
There are two kinds of program available, through our partner Internex:
- The Internex Work Support program, a support service where you get help to find a job and organize your life in New Zealand;
- The Internex Work Placement program, a service where our partner organisation finds a work placement for you, according to your requirements.
Choosing the right program for you depends mainly on the kind of visa you have, your English level, your education and work background, and your reason for wanting to work in New Zealand.
The Internex Work Support Program
A working holiday support program for students who want to get general experience of working in New Zealand and earn some money to help support their study or travel.
Our partner organization Internex helps you to start your working experience and then supports you while you work in New Zealand. The program includes:
- A one-on-one orientation and counselling session to establish your plans and your needs and to give you initial advice
- Practical help with creating a CV/résumé, opening a bank account, getting a NZ tax number, arranging transport, looking for accommodation and so on
- Access to job listings
You need to have a visa that allows you to work and at least an intermediate (B1) level of English to participate in this program. You can check your English level in our online pre-test.
You should study at Languages International for 4 weeks or more before you start to work so you can get used to New Zealand, make some new friends and brush up your English in preparation for working.
- Cost: $425 for up to 12 months’ support.
The Internex Work Placement Program
A placement program for students who want to experience work in a specific kind of New Zealand workplace, often one that is relevant to their area of study or training.
There are a few different options in the Work Placement Program:
Either during your Languages International course or after you’ve finished it, you can undertake a volunteer internship in a range of industries. Improve your CV/résumé for your future and gain international experience in fields such as Office Administration, Marketing, Tourism and Early Childhood Education.
After you’ve finished your Languages International course, why not go and work in a hotel or resort in one of New Zealand’s tourism playgrounds? A wide range of jobs is available, based on your qualifications and experience. Start dates are in September and October and positions are likely to finish in April or May. A great way to meet locals and travellers from around the world. Staff accommodation or homestay accommodation, depending on location.
Take the opportunity to go out and experience the industry at the heart of New Zealand and its economy. You get to live and work on a farm and learn the daily life of a New Zealand farming family. The Farmstay program is for working visa holders, and there is also a Farm Volunteer program for those on a visitor’s visa.
- You need to have a visa that allows you to work to participate in these programs. Your level of English needs to be upper intermediate (B2) or above, and you can check your English level in our online pre-test.
- Even if your level of English is quite high, we recommend that you study at Languages International for at least 4 weeks before you start your internship so you can get used to New Zealand, make some new friends and brush up your English in preparation for working.
- Cost: $1,200 for work placement and up to 12 months’ support.
If you have any questions about our work experience programs, please contact Brett.