New Zealand’s first CELTA centre
We started delivering the Cambridge CELTA course at Languages International in 1988. Nearly 200 courses and over 1700 graduates later, we still love helping people take their first steps in English language teaching – or add some new ELT skills to their teaching repertoire! Read on or get in touch with the team at Languages International to learn more.
On-site Full-time CELTA
Cambridge CELTA courses in Auckland
The Cambridge CELTA (Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) is the most widely-recognized international qualification in English language teaching to adults. It is considered an initial qualification in this field, and the course leading to it is designed for people without previous teaching experience, as well as those who have had experience but could benefit from formal training. A Cambridge CELTA from Languages International will give you the knowledge, skills, and hands-on experience to become a successful English language teacher to adults, both in New Zealand and overseas. Languages International offers the Cambridge CELTA at our school in Central Auckland, New Zealand.
Why take CELTA with Languages International?
- We are the longest-established CELTA centre in New Zealand and have been running courses since 1988.
- Our teacher training team is the most experienced in New Zealand, with teaching and training experience in countries as various as Australia, Canada, the Czech Republic, Egypt, France, Italy, Japan, Kazakhstan, Lebanon, New Zealand, Sweden, Thailand, Turkey and the UK.
- All of our trainers are qualified to MA or honours level, and all have the higher-level Cambridge DELTA qualification.
- Most importantly, every single one of our CELTA tutors has taken the CELTA course (or equivalent) themselves, so we understand the pressures and the rewards and have the experience to support you throughout the course.
- We have trained over 1700 candidates on our CELTA courses, with around 96% of candidates achieving a Pass grade or higher.
- Our On-site Full-time CELTA Course, delivered over four intensive weeks, is the fastest way to gain the Cambridge CELTA and start working as an English language teacher.
- We have extensive experience delivering a range of teacher training courses including the higher-level Cambridge Delta as well as other teacher training programmes (TESOL and Cambridge TKT).
- The high tutor/trainee ratio (every course has at least two tutors, and there is one teaching practice tutor for every six trainees) ensures a high level of tutor contact and support.
Who can apply to take the CELTA course?
CELTA is an introductory course for applicants with little or no experience of teaching English to speakers of other languages. Sometimes candidates have some experience but little formal ELT training. All applicants must:
- be aged 18+.
- have an awareness of language and a competence in both written and spoken English to enable them to undertake the course and prepare for teaching a range of levels – at least high C1 or C2 (around IELTS 7.5 – 8.0).
- have a standard of education equivalent to that required for entry into higher education or university study.
- have the potential to develop the necessary skills to become effective teachers and to complete successfully the written assignments and the assessment of teaching practice.
- satisfy the centre that the course is suitable for their needs, in respect of their experience, background and career plans.
Course Content & Assessment
The CELTA course is highly practical, placing a considerable emphasis on candidates’ performance in observed teaching practice sessions. Candidates are also required to complete four short written assignments over the course. Please note that there is no final exam for this course; all assessment takes place within the course dates.
All aspects of the course (teaching practice and written assignments) are internally and continuously assessed. Candidates’ course work is also externally moderated by an assessor who is approved and appointed by Cambridge. The final certificate is issued by Cambridge English Language Assessment.
- Learners, teachers and the learning teaching content
- Language analysis and awareness
- Language skills: reading, listening, speaking and writing
- Planning and resources for different teaching contexts
- Developing teaching skills and professionalism
The course is highly practical, placing a considerable emphasis on candidates’ performance in observed teaching practice sessions. There is a ratio of up to 6 candidates to one tutor on courses. Teaching practice takes place in groups of up to 6 trainees with volunteer groups of English language learners at two different levels.
Candidates are also required to complete written assignments covering the following topics:
- English language systems
- Reflection on classroom teaching
- Adult learners and learning contexts
- Analysis of teaching/learning material
The course consists of 4 weeks of full-time study. A high level of commitment is required of candidates and the course is very demanding. Candidates are expected to attend 100% of the course, with an absence allowance for illness or exceptional circumstances. Those people considering following a course should ensure that they are free of other commitments during the time of study.
At Languages International, we run the Cambridge CELTA as an intensive course from Monday to Friday, from 8.45am until approximately 5.00pm. On top of that, most trainees will have around two to four hours’ work to do every day in the evenings and weekends.
All aspects of the course (teaching practice and written assignments) are internally and continuously assessed. Candidates’ course work is also externally moderated by an assessor who is approved and appointed by Cambridge. The final certificate is issued by Cambridge.
The certificate at Pass level is awarded to candidates who meet the course requirements and whose performance meets the criteria in all components. Those whose classroom teaching skills reach a level significantly higher than pass-level criteria are awarded Pass B; those whose classroom teaching skills and planning skills are exceptional, are awarded Pass A. The centre will also write an individual report on each candidate’s performance and progress during the course.
Further information about the Cambridge CELTA course can be found on the Cambridge Assessment English website.
Costs and Finance
- NZ$3,500 for applications received 4 or more weeks before the course start date
- NZ$3,600 for applications received less than 4 weeks before the course start date
The fees for CELTA courses reflect the high tutor-trainee ratio and the fact that the course requires international moderation and controls. CELTA courses are not usually eligible for student loans. All prospective applicants requiring information on loans or grants should request information from the appropriate authority.
How can I apply?
All applicants should download and complete an application form and pre-interview task.
All applicants should download a copy of the CELTA Application form and complete this as instructed. Following assessment of the application and the task, applicants are selected for interview at Languages International. Applicants are assessed on their suitability to complete a CELTA course successfully. Particular attention is paid to aptitude for language analysis and clear communication. In matters concerning the assessment and suitability of prospective candidates, the decision of the Director of Teacher Training is final.
Those candidates who are offered a place on a course must pay a $300 deposit in order to secure their place. The balance of fees is due one week before the course starts. Failure to pay the fees may mean that applicants forfeit a place. Once course fees have been paid in full, they are not refundable. It may be possible for applicants to transfer their application to a future course, but only if their place on a course can be filled.
Frequently Asked Questions
Some common questions asked about the Cambridge CELTA course at Languages International.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us by e-mail or by phone on +64 (9) 309 0615. We are open from 9 am to 4:30 pm.
What do CELTA graduates say?
Learn more about the CELTA and what it is like at Languages International from our graduate, Marissa.
And find out what graduates of online CELTA courses think.
You can find out what other CELTA graduates think in our CELTA Students Say section.
Keep up-to-date with our latest CELTA news on our Teacher Training news blog.
Free Online Introductory Course
If you are interested in finding out more about English language teaching, you can follow a six-week online course Exploring the World of English Language Teaching offered by Cambridge Assessment English. The course is free and aims to outline key aspects of English language teaching.
To find out more information and the next start date, follow this link.