At Languages International, you can combine the best English language courses with the opportunity to practice English in the real world as well. We offer work experience programs that combine study at Languages International and employment in a New Zealand workplace.
First, you will need to have a visa for New Zealand that allows you to work. Check to see if you are able to apply for a Working Holiday visa or look at information about working while on a Student visa.
There are two kinds of program available:
- The Work New Zealand program, a support service where you get help to find a job and organize your life in New Zealand;
- The Professional Internships program, a placement service where our partner organisation finds a work placement for you, according to your requirements.
Choosing the right program for you depends mainly on the kind of visa you have, your English level, your education and work background, and your reason for wanting to work in New Zealand.
A working holiday support program for students who want to get general experience of working in New Zealand and earn some money to help support their study or travel.
Our partner organization IEP helps you to start your working experience and then support you while you work in New Zealand. The program includes:
- Access to the IEP Members’ website, with information and exclusive job listings
- Arrival orientation in IEP’s Auckland centre, with practical information and advice about staying and working in New Zealand
- Access to the IEP Members’ Lounge while you’re in New Zealand, with:
Most importantly, we have helpful and friendly staff. All our staff have lived and travelled overseas which makes us naturally very passionate about travel. It also means we understand what it’s like to be in your shoes – to arrive in a new country with a head full of questions. We love New Zealand to absolute pieces and we want you to feel the same. We’re here to help make your stay the best it can be.
- You need to have a Working Holiday visa and at least an intermediate (B1) level of English to participate in this program. You can check your English level in our online pre-test.
- You should study at Languages International for 4 weeks or more before you start to work so you can get used to New Zealand, make some new friends and brush up your English in preparation for working.
- Cost: $350 for up to 12 months’ support.
The Professional Internships Program
Our partner organisation INTERNeX works with you from before you leave your home country to ensure that you have a valuable and enjoyable professional work experience.
- The aims of this program are to evaluate your education and work background, assess your needs and then place you in an internship where you can reach your goals and fulfil your interests.
- Internships can be in professional areas such as business administration, marketing, operations, human resources, finance, media, not-for-profit organizations and sporting industries, in the hospitality and tourism industry, or in the New Zealand farming sector.
- You need to have a Working Holiday visa or a Student and Trainee Work visa to participate in this program. There might be other possibilities, so if you cannot get one of these visas, please contact us so that we can advise you. Your level of English needs to be upper intermediate (B2), and you can check your English level in our online pre-test.
- Even if your level of English is quite high, we recommend that you study at Languages International for at least 4 weeks before you start your internship so you can get used to New Zealand, make some new friends and brush up your English in preparation for working.
- Cost: $1,200 for internship placement and up to 12 months’ support.
If you have any questions about our work experience programs, please contact Brett.