Cambridge TKT (Teaching Knowledge Test)
What are the TKT Modules?
TKT is a test about teaching English to speakers of other languages. It aims to increase teachers’ confidence and enhance job prospects by focusing on the core teaching knowledge needed by teachers of primary, secondary or adult learners, anywhere in the world. This flexible and accessible award will help you to understand:
- different methodologies for teaching
- the ‘language of teaching’
- the ways in which resources can be used
- the key aspects of lesson planning
- classroom management methods for different needs.
Who is TKT for?
TKT gives teachers a strong foundation in the core areas of teaching knowledge needed in the English language teaching classroom. It is ideal for all teachers, whatever your background and teaching experience, and is also suitable for people who would like to teach English but do not yet have a teaching position. TKT is aimed at learners who have intermediate level English or above.
What do the TKT modules involve?
TKT has three core modules. Each module consists of a test of 80 objective questions, lasting 80 minutes, which require you to select the correct answer and mark this on a computerised answer sheet.
Module 1 – Language and background to language learning and teaching
- Describing language and language skills.
- Background to language learning.
- Background to language teaching.
Module 2 – Planning lessons and use of resources for language teaching
- Planning and preparing a lesson or sequence of lessons.
- Selection and use of resources and materials.
Module 3 – Managing the teaching and learning process
- Teachers’ and learners’ language in the classroom.
- Classroom management.
When can I sit TKT?
On the Monday after your TESOL course ends. (See our TESOL course dates.)